ORDINANCE NO. 2020-1
ORDINANCE TO PROVIDE FOR THE APPOINTMENT OF THE TOWN CLERK BY THE TOWN BOARD
WHEREAS, the Town Board of the Town of Brooklyn desires to change the procedure for filling the town clerk position from the town clerk being an elected position to an appointed position.
NOW, THEREFORE BE IT ORDAINED BY THE TOWN BOARD OF THE TOWN OF BROOKLYN, GREEN LAKE COUNTY, WISCONSIN, THAT:
1. Pursuant to the authority granted by Section 60.30 of the Wisconsin Statutes, the Town Board does hereby provide for the appointment of the town clerk by a majority of the members-elect of the town board.
2. This ordinance shall take effect if approved in a referendum called by the town board at the next spring election or general election, provided that it shall be held no sooner than 70 days after passage of this ordinance.
3. The referendum question shall be: “Shall the person holding the office of town clerk in the town of Brooklyn be appointed by the town board?”.
4. If the referendum results are for the appointment of the town clerk the town board shall appoint a town clerk at the end of the expiration of the current term of the town clerk.
5. A person appointed to the office of town clerk shall serve for a term, not to exceed three years, as set by the town board.
6. A person appointed as town clerk may be reappointed and may be dismissed by the town board only for cause, as defined in section 17.001 of the Wisconsin Statutes.
7. The town clerk shall properly post this ordinance as required under section 60.80 of the Wisconsin Statutes.
Dated this day of February, 2020.
Michael Wuest, Chairman
, Town Clerk